I haven't heard _the sound_

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:05:48 -0600

At 02:30 PM 8/17/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Thanks, Avery, my condolences. We have two, folks, is anybody out there who
>encountered _the sound_ three times?

Susan,
	Yes, unfortunately, I've actually heard "the sound" five times. Twice from
across the shop after a massive humidity swing, on old beaters that were
waiting for....free time to mess with them. Solved the problem. Once in my
face, that was a hoot. Once while a helper was throwing a quick major third
p/r on one, and once on a small pso right after hired help dropped it.
	Have only had a couple of customer units that were worth trying to fix,
and it wasn't that big of a deal. Have even bored through the tenor strut
right to a backpost, and added a bolt to stabilize a crack. Holds up just
fine. Had one that we pulled because the customer had refinished the piano
herself, and on the backside of this upright plate were the original
(1908ish) chalk-marks from the factory where some inspector had cicled some
faults in the plate. Pits and stuff. Didn't break where it was marked, though.
	Everybody needs at least one.
guy

Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"Irreversibility is the mechanism that brings order from chaos"
						Prigogine