gals

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:51:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 EugeniaCar@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-08-18 08:29:07 EDT, birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca
> (Stephen Birkett) writes:
>
> << her husband created a facade that he was the business, but
>  Nanette was the one >>
>

> Stephen,
>
> Ah Nanette! One of my heroines! Actually, wasn't it she who created the
> facade to ensure that she could continue her father's legacy as well as her
> own creativity?  Smart business lady too; by using Streicher as their piano's
> nomenclature she was able to implement her own modifications. I would love to
> see one of her pianos. Lucky you!!!!
>
> Gina

One of the saddest accounts I ever read about Beethoven, was written by
someone (I forget who, right at the moment) who had gone to see Ludwig
near the end of his life. Beethoven at this time was totally deaf. The
writer reported that Beethoven went to play for him on one of Nanette's
pianos which he owned. The piano was a shambles--broken strings,broken
hammers, horrendously out-of-tune etc. Beethoven reportedly played totally
oblivious to the condition of the piano, hearing the music only in his
mind, not with his ears. :(

Les Smith