more heresy

Robert W.Hohf rhohf@idcnet.com
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 06:46:10 -0500

As long as we are debunking dogma, how about this:  loading a soundboard
does not simply put soundboard into compression, as has been implied in
several recent posts.  I am no mechanical engineer, but I have questioned
several over the years on this topic in order to understand some observations I
have made on pianos.

In order to put an arched system into compression, the load must be
_uniformly distributed_ across the arch.  This is not the case in pianos.  If we
consider a cross-section including rib, board, and bridge, the load applied to
the bridge is a _point source_.  This type of loading does not produce
simple compression.  It causes the bridge to sink into a valley with bulges on
both sides.  The greater the loading, the deeper the valley and the more
pronounced the bulges.

Of course, real soundboards are not cross-sections, but have an extremely
complex shape in 3-dimensions.  Real soundboards can have bulges on either
side or both, and the side of the bulging can change in different areas of the
same piano.  This sounds a lot like "bridge roll", doesn't it?  Do we need
another explanation of bridge roll?

This valley/bulge creates a "wave"  shape in the board.  The resulting pattern of
tension and compression is complex.  Sometimes it can cause a charateristic
pattern of  compression failure and cracks.  It can cause paradoxical cracks on
the bottom of a soundboard.  It can also make measuring the crown on the
bottom of a board inaccurate.

Bob Hohf
Wisconsin

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...