Chickering Pinblock epoxied

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 13:11:27 -0500

Hello all,
I wanted to report on a Chickering rebuild that I had questions about in
the early part of the summer.  This 5' Quarter Grand had a double flange
pinblock that was machined screwed to the plate.  I had underestimated the
amount of work I would need to do on the action, and was concerned about
duplicating the block.  I ended up epoxying the block with EPOTEK epoxy
(water thin) and redrilling for size 4  pins.  I am happy to report that
the pinblock feels wonderful and I have the perfect feel!  It is VERY
consistent.  Thanks to Dave Doremus and Ken Eschete for walking me through
it my first time.  I'll be doing an upright next.
  I also tried using the Scortino insta-coiler to restring the whole thing
and it worked well.  Most of the piano I was even able to point all beckets
in the same direction.  Nice, tight, consistent coils.  I did have to do
the lower half of the bass my old way because the handle of the tool hit
the rim.  I found that driving all pins in first (hole pointing at tail)
and working left to right was the way to go.  The tool seems very durable
and shows absolutely NO wear.  I was worried about that.
  Can anyone tell about using an impact hammer for restringing?? I've never
used one.  My arm was getting tired on this job (getting old?). I don't
want to scratch my (what I consider) beautiful gild job.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net