Burnt Shellac?

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 12:45:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Sue.

Burnt shellac is usually made in quantity, which means that you have to
start with at least a half pint of thinned shellac and a full pint is
probably better. The alcohol won't get enough oxygen to burn off when
the shellac is still in a regular can. You have to transfer the shellac
to a wide shallow pan like a cake-pan to burn it off. You also need a
tight cover for the pan so that you can estinguish the flame afterwards.
Once the burnt shellac has cooled, it will be the consistency of thick
molasses. It's best applied--and kept--by putting it in a plastic
squeeze bottle such as carpenter's glue comes in. Make sure that you
keep a top on it to keep it from getting too thick. When appling small
amounts you can squeeze some out on to a flat surface like a metal jar
lid and then transfer it to where you want it with a small brush. Try-
ing to make thickened shellac by evaporation, in sufficient quantity,
just doesn't seem practical. I will repeat, however, that the PVC-E
glue makes a fine substitute for the more traditional burnt shellac.
The burning off of the alcohol from thinned shellac is a dangerous
operation.

BTW, the only "dumb" question, especially on a super-friendly list like
this, is the one that goes un-asked!

Les Smith