Crown Measurement

Michael J. Wathen wathenmj@Email.uc.edu
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 15:04:17 -0400

 DDF wrote:

> What is a good method for measuring crown in a board?  What does good crown
> look like as a measurement?  Does it vary according to the size of the
board?

>>We no longer bother. We measure string deflection and listen, listen,
>>listen, listen....

What are people generally saying when they say a board has no crown?  Are
they referring to negative bearing across the bridge?  With all this
discussion I am getting a little worried.  The 6'5" Chickering in my living
room has the original board and its been shimmed (not by me). It was built
in 1895.  I plan to post a short wave file as soon as I can get a good
pianist to come by.  I like the piano but maybe it is a little week.