Burnt Shellac?

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:20:14 -0500

Les,
Could I put the shellac in a pie pan, put in a box (to stop the wind)
outside to burn?  I picture this like bananas foster (a New Orleans dessert
favorite) or a flambé.  I was thinking of putting it down in my big
bar-b-que pit to burn in a pan.  I like using traditional methods when
practical.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> From: Les Smith <lessmith@buffnet.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Burnt Shellac?
> Date: Wednesday, August 20, 1997 11:45 AM
>
> Hi, Sue.
>
> Burnt shellac is usually made in quantity, which means that you have to
> start with at least a half pint of thinned shellac and a full pint is
> probably better. The alcohol won't get enough oxygen to burn off when
> the shellac is still in a regular can. You have to transfer the shellac
> to a wide shallow pan like a cake-pan to burn it off. You also need a
> tight cover for the pan so that you can estinguish the flame afterwards.
> Once the burnt shellac has cooled, it will be the consistency of thick
> molasses. It's best applied--and kept--by putting it in a plastic
> squeeze bottle such as carpenter's glue comes in. Make sure that you
> keep a top on it to keep it from getting too thick. When appling small
> amounts you can squeeze some out on to a flat surface like a metal jar
> lid and then transfer it to where you want it with a small brush. Try-
> ing to make thickened shellac by evaporation, in sufficient quantity,
> just doesn't seem practical. I will repeat, however, that the PVC-E
> glue makes a fine substitute for the more traditional burnt shellac.
> The burning off of the alcohol from thinned shellac is a dangerous
> operation.
>
> BTW, the only "dumb" question, especially on a super-friendly list like
> this, is the one that goes un-asked!
>
> Les Smith
>
> On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Susan Kline wrote:
>
> > Hi, Les --
> >
> > Just a question, disregard if dumb. If you wanted to remove the alcohol
> > without the risk of combustion, couldn't you put some shellac in an
open
> > dish and just leave it for awhile, maybe stirring a little, till it was
the
> > right consistency?
> >
> > By the way, if anyone needs to see your post about threaded damper
wires, I
> > still have it and could send it to them.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Susan

> > At 10:35 AM 8/20/97 -0400, Les wrote:
> > >Hi, Lance.
> > >
> > >Burnt shellac is just that, burnt shellac. You take regular, already
> > >mixed shellac, and burn off the excess alcohol. It's a somewhat tricky
> > >proceedure because alcohol burns with an almost clear, hard-to-see
flame.
> > >Since you probably wouldn't want to risk burning down your shop, it's
> > >a job best done outdoors in a clear area, on a windless day.
Fortunately,