Gals

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:05:55 -0400 (EDT)

Stephen Birkett wrote:

> Nanette Streicher, who made the 1814 piano I mentioned that
> started off this soundboard discussion, was a "gal". She learned piano
> building at an early age from her father J.A. Stein...by seven she was
> regulating actions in her father's pianos. Following the social norms of
> the time, her husband created a facade that he was the business, but
> Nanette was the one in the overalls who signed her name upside down on
> every bellyrail.

Interesting story (not the first time for me--I read about it somewhere).
But what was never clear to me was whether or not Papa Stein helped Nan by
holding the piano upside-down? Or did she suspend herself from the shop
ceiling? Or....shucks...well, never mind. :-}

			     Ron Torrella, RPT
			Assistant Piano Technician
			  University of Michigan
			      School of Music