Burnt Shellac?

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:21:17 -0400 (EDT)

Can you believe it? The guys at Schaff and APSCO lied to you! PVC-E
stands for Poly-Vinyl Cloride-Emulsion Glue. The emulsion part meaning
that--get ready for this!--the PVC glue, an immiscible liquid, is held
in a colloidal suspension in water by agents called emulsifiers. When
the water evaporates, the glue remains. This is about as inert and in-
offensiver glue as you can find. Since water is the carrying agent, it
can be both thinned and cleaned up with water, but likewise you have to
keep it from freezing. If it gets too cold, you wind up with one huge
mass of gunk that cannot be thinned down again. PVC-E glue is easy to work
with, has many applications, and--apparently-- no toxic fumes which you
have to worry about--like CA, for example.

Les Smith