Room Dehumidifiers vs Dampp-Chaser

Gayle Mair damppchasr@circle.net
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:28:35 -0000

August 21, 1997

It seems that the consideration at hand provides for 2 options, control the
humidity levels surrounding the piano or control the humidity within the
piano and of course, expect this treatment to migrate throughout the piano.

The following provides several facts that deal with this.

We have 3 room dehumidifiers that are in regular use to provide
dehumidification to our test and research areas.  We use controls that cost
$1200 each to provide the precision required for these areas.  The
dehumidifiers have the following capabilities and power requirements:

		   Pints of Water
		Removed each 24 hrs			Amps

			50				  7.3
			40				  7.5
			25				  5.9
			25				  5.0

I've listed a 4th unit (the 5.9 amp one) that is used in the lower level of
my house.  I see its effects on a daily basis and monthly when the bill
from Carolina Power & Light comes in.  If you look at the operating cost of
this unit you find the following:

		5.9 amps
	        x 120 watts/amp
	           708 watts
				708
				x 24 hrs
				16990/1000 = 17 KW hrs/day

							   17 KW hrs/day
							x 30 days/month
						             510  KW hrs/mo
							x .09 $/KW hr
						         $45.90 /month

This is how much it costs me to run the 5.9 amp dehumidifier continuously
throughout the month.  Fortunately I have to do this only for the high
humidity months of late spring, summer and early fall.

I've provided the above calculation so that anyone can apply this to his or
her particular situation and make a similar calculation.

The goal of all technicians should be to stabilize the piano throughout
each day of each week, each week of each month and each month of the entire
year.  You do this by bringing RH levels down during periods of high
humidity, to humidity levels that you can bring the piano up to during
periods of low humidity.  For the sake of simplicity, assume that you have
high humidity only in the summer and low humidity in the winter.  If you
can raise the environment to 42% in the winter, then you should try to get
the summer humidity down to 42%.

An air conditioner won't get it to 42% in the summer unless you live in a
relatively arid part of the country.  An air conditioner and a room
dehumidifier generally won't get it to 42% either because what you are
taking out is being replaced by the transfer of water through the walls,
floor or ceiling.  I won't get deeply into the mechanics of this, but it
has to do with higher vapor pressure on the hot, humid side of the
structure trying to equalize with the lower pressures on the cooler, dryer
side of the structure.  This holds true whether it's summer or winter.  The
struggle to equalize is constantly going on within your home if one side of
the wall is cool and dry compared to the other side.

In most climates winter brings the need to raise the relative humidity to
the same level that you were able to attain in the summer when you lowered
it.  For the sake of this example, let's say you were able to get to 42% in
the summer, then this is all you need to raise it to in the winter.  Not a
problem.  Just bring in 2 good size room humidifiers and let them go to
work.  Unfortunately it's not as simple as this.  Our old friend, the
difference in vapor pressure between inside and outside, creates a very
significant problem.  Here the higher vapor pressure inside is struggling
to equalize with the lower pressure outside.  It does so within the wall
itself.  If the temperature within the wall is sufficiently low, the
moisture moving from inside to outside condenses and freezes creating
expansion pressure between the walls' components.  Eventually, the frozen
moisture thaws and begins to rot the wall components.  Now this is a pretty
slow process, but each time it occurs, it adds a little to the wall's
deterioration.

Aprilaire, makers of the Cadillac of furnace humidifiers, provides the
following table for indoor humidification levels at various outside
temperatures:

	Outside Temperature (oF)		Recommended RH
		+40o					45%
		+30o					40%
		+20o					35%
		+10o					30%
		    0o					25%
		-10o					20%
		-20o					15%

You can see from this that at outside temperatures below 30oF, humidity
levels in the 40% area are not recommended.

The conclusion I draw from all of this is that it just plain makes sense to
control the humidity within the piano rather than trying to control the
humidity surrounding the piano.

Unlike David A. Vanderhoofven, I do have an axe to grind, however, if what
I have said is not correct, I'm sure someone will let me know.