Room Dehumidifiers vs. Dampp-Chaser

Gayle Mair damppchasr@circle.net
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 15:10:27 -0000

To Richard Moody,

The Dampp-Chaser dehumidifier reduces the relative humidity under a grand
piano sound board in an area less than the size of the sound board, but
allow me to explain:  The warm air created by the dehumidifier rod carries
the reduced humidity air up to the sound board.  It picks up moisture from
the sound board, cools and becomes heavier than the surrounding air so it
falls to a point below the piano and hits the floor or is carried away by
air currents within the room.  The moisture content in the sound board area
of the reduced relative humidity area equalizes not only through the sound
board but across the sound board.  The dehumidification effect is enhanced
by producing lower relative humidities through higher temperatures and by
adding dehumidifiers across the area under the sound board.  This is an
ongoing process, 24 hours per day, 365 days per year if necessary.

This is a simplified version of the moisture content reducing mechanics of
Dampp-Chaser dehumidifiers.