My piano, Chickering

Michael J. Wathen Michael.Wathen@uc.edu
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 14:43:36 -0100

Damper pedal, hmm...

It is a 6' 5" Chickering with all original parts in the action except the
hammers.  The hammers appear to be Standard or Rosen from about thirty years
ago.  They are extremely dry.  Hammers like soundboards can loose their
resiliency over time.

The dampers are even the originals.  I took one look at the dampers and
decided I could not duplicate the quality so I left them on...so their is
some bleed through which overtime will be come less and less.

The string scale is not original it was designed by Sanderson. He also made
the bass strings.

Once again you can visit the site below to see a picture of a modified
string rest system.  The picture is the Chickering in question.  Originally
it had pieces of felt glued to the plate adjacent to the hitch pins.  I
wanted first of all to control the down bearing across the bridge to make it
as minimal as possible because the board was over a hundred years old.  The
rest are made from sections of cut up bass strings.  I had a set of unused
bass strings sitting around.  I could pick from a full range of diameters to
raise the string till I achieved the right bearing.  I should not here that
all this was required because I replaced a hopeless bridge cap. The second
reason for changing the system was that I wanted to get a little resonant
sympathetic vibration from the soundboard. This piano has agraffes all the
way to the top. So I also went to a machinist and had him make some 3/8"
half rounds out of high carbon steel to act as string rests (counter bearing
bars) between the tuning pin and the agraffe. These sections also have some
sympathetic resonance but more importantly I think that they return some
energy to the speaking portion of the string.  Now I not sure what DDF will
think about this because I'm still confused about his portion with regards
to Un tuned duplexes.  But I would like to hear more of what he has to say
about it.

So check out the picture:

http://ucccm56.ccm.uc.edu/duplex.jpg

 Michael J. Wathen, RPT			Phone:	513-556-9565
 Piano Technician			Fax:	513-556-3399
 College-Consevatory of Music		Email:  Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
 University of Cincinnati
 Cincinnati, OH 45221-0096