light hammers

James McCormac jmccorm@tfb.com
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 19:47:22 -0700

Along the lines of the light hammer thread, I found an article in the
current issue of Piano & Keyboard (Sept/Oct 1997) which speaks to this
topic in an interesting way -- at least in a way that was new to me.
Entitled "A Tip for the Top,"  Robert Cloutier of the U. Oregon at
Eugene, suggests a method to take weight off hammers.  He states: "I
offer the following advice to anyone with a new steinway (especially a
concert instrument), or to anyone with a Seinway which has recently been
re-hammered (with genuine parts)."  Rather than remove material from the
sides of the moulding of the hammer, he recommends removing material fore
and aft of the moulding just above where the shank enters the moulding.
He continues:"Removing the wood makes the hammer more flexible.  The
improvement in the sustaining 'ring' of the treble is substantial."  He
posits that Steinways over fifty years old have hammershanks with smaller
diameters and thus more flexibility.  His procedure is designed to
restore this flexibility and he applies it throughout the upper third of
the keyboard.
	My questions to the list are as follows --
Has anyone else tried this procedure, and with what success?
If the older Steinways have a singing treble because of smaller shanks,
why not remove material from the shanks as is suggested by not a few
experienced technicians, and thus achieve the desired flexibility?
It seems to me that removing material fore and aft just above the shank
hole is asking for a failure of the moulding.  This  might occur when it
is time to reshape the hammer either with a sanding paddle or sandpaper
strips.  A fair amount of force is directed fore and aft on the hammer
when sanding. Finally, does Cloutier's method achieve the desired results
with less effort?  I suppose that a rattail file on the moulding is
easier than using a router to reduce the mass of a hammershank -- no jig,
no chance of messing up a shank, etc.
	I would appreciate the counsel of more experienced techs.
Jim McCormac
Associate
Fallbrook, CA