Light, light, hammers

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 06:55:32 -0500

Hi folks,

I would like to give a balanced view regarding the use of light, light hammers.
Today I recieved an action from a major Symphony Orchestra.  The piano is a
Steinway D with weight reduced Ronson 14# hammers with Sapele moldings.  The
piano has nice tone but nobody will use the piano because the tone just
doesn't cut it.  Just not enough energy there.  If ultra light hammers work
miracles then we would see them in general use and we don't.  The are plenty
of great sounding pianos out there that have full weight hammers.

When I hear that woody sound it tells me that the shoulders and sublayers of
felt need to be stiffer.   It takes more skill to voice a heavier hammer so
that it bounces of the string more quickly enough to creat a full balanced
tone, especially if your timid and inexperienced in the application of
hardening agents.

The following is a letter that was published in response to an article in
Piano & Keyboard Magazine:

ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ
Timothy Pfaff - Editor
Piano and Keyboard Magazine

Dear Mr. Pfaff,                                  11/18/93

Your recent publication of a letter by Edward N. Zalta, in the
November/December issue of Piano and Keyboard Magazine,
regarding Ed McMorrow's "Light Hammer Technique", touches upon
several controversial points, which, for the benefit and
education of your readers, should be addressed.

It is a point of debate whether the newer Steinways "sound as
good, or play as well as well preserved older ones".  I take the
view that if there is a general fault with the modern piano, it
lies not in the weight of the modern hammer, but the lack of
piano technicians who are skilled in the art of voicing the
modern hammer.  A piano that is not voiced up to full steam will
not play well.  Consequently the whole piano is thought to be
inferior.

For a time, I personally followed the light hammer road,
believing in many of the lines of logic that McMorrow exposes.
But I have listened to what a large number of professional
pianists tell me and they have taught otherwise.  I have learned
that the stripped down light hammer produces a tone which does
not carry adequately, especially in ensemble situations.  The
tonal requirements of the 20th century demand a more massive
hammer.  The modern weight hammer such as that used by Steinway
today is the result of many decades of trial and error, finding
just the right weight of hammer that brings out the maximum
potential of the modern instrument.  The modern weight hammer
simply has a bigger sound than its antique counterpart.

McMorrow contrasts his technique with my technique, and clearly
implies that I do not take the tone into account when dealing
with the touch.  This is false and misleading.  The philosophy
of my techniques are based on the synergistic relationship
between tone and touch, with tone taking the dominant role.

In contrast to McMorrows technique, whereby the weight of the
hammer is sacrificed to "match the period of the string", my
technique gets a similar effect, but I do not sacrifice the
bigger sound of the modern hammer.  Let me explain:

The ideal hammer produces a bright and powerful tone when played
loudly, and a velvety mellow tone when played softly.  The
varied tonal mix that is possible in between these two extremes
gives the pianist a wide choice of tonal color.

I achieve this voicing ideal by using techniques which maintain
maximum softness and resiliency at the surface of the hammer,
making the sublayers of felt progressively harder.  The distance
from the surface of the hammer to a point within where maximum
hardness is attained, I call the "Gradient Zone".  Within the
Gradient Zone are contained a wide range of felt densities which
help to create a wide range of tonal color.

There is significant variation in the resonant qualities of
individual pianos. The trick is to match the Gradient Zone with
the unique characteristics of the individual instrument.  Pianos
which are highly resonant achieve maximum tonal quality with a
deeper Gradient Zone.  Pianos which are less resonant require
treatment that creates a shallower zone with the hard sublayers
of felt closer to the surface.  When the ideal Gradient Zone is
attained; the tone immediately opens, becoming "pure and
bell-like", with limitless variations of tonal shades available
to the pianist.

Regarding the action, McMorrow fails to address the central
issue of lever ratio in the piano key.  This relates to the
speed at which the hammer rises when the key is depressed.  The
lighter hammers common in the 19th century are used in
conjunction with actions which have less leverage, and therefore
the hammer moves more quickly as the key is depressed.  The
heavier hammers of today require more leverage to catapult them
to the string.  The modern style action is made such that the
hammers rise more slowly in relation to key depression.
The slower moving, heavier hammer of today delivers more energy
to the string than the faster moving light hammer of the last
century.

The combination of lever ratio and hammer weight governs the
characteristic feeling of the action.  Unfortunately there
exists wide variation in lever ratios found in pianos from any
period.  This creates problems.  For instance, using a light,
antique weight hammer with the modern style lever ratios is not
recommended since the lower velocity combined with less mass
will transmit insufficient energy to the string.  The action
will feel too light, and the pianist will feel frustrated when
trying to get a big sound.  Conversely, modern weight hammers
used with older style lever ratios will make the action feel
heavy, difficult to control, and may cause physical harm to the
pianist.

Today, the concert pianist performs on a nonstandardized
instrument.  As a friend put it, "performing on tour is like a
string of blind dates", referring to the variety of pianos she
is required to perform on.  Aside from voicing, action is the
major problem.  It is either too light, too heavy, or too
unresponsive,... sometimes it's just right.  My vision is
standardization of hammer weight and lever ratio, because it
strikes at the core of the problem.

One final point: I agree that pianists can tolerate the high
touchweight that McMorrow accepts in his work.  However,
pianists repeatedly tell me that they find high touchweight a
hindrance when playing pianissimo, and a barrier when playing
glissando.

- David C. Stanwood
            David C. Stanwood-Stanwood@tiac.net
            West Tisbury, Massachusetts     USA
            On the Island of  Martha's Vineyard
            http://www.tiac.net/users/stanwood/

"The art in hammer making has ever been to obtain a solid,
 firm foundation, graduating in softness and elasticity toward
 the top surface, which latter has to be silky and elastic in
 order to produce a mild, soft tone for pianissimo playing, but
 with sufficient resistace back of it to permit the hard blow of
 fortissimo playing."                 - Alfred Dolge 1911