Yamaha GH1B

Ron Berry ronberry@pop.iquest.net
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 08:00:22 -0500

> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Date:          Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:10:52 -0500
> Subject:       Yamaha GH1B
> From:          wjstuner@juno.com (William J Schlipf)

> Dear List:   Am having difficulties with a new GH1B in the low tenor.  B3
> (2 B's below middle C) has the least desireable sound ever heard.  It's
> not out-of-tune,  strings are level,  hammer is striking squarely, no
> kink in the wire,  not beating false.  What am I forgetting?  Tone is
> thin and harsh.   Any suggestions would be be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks in advance!!   Bill    WJSTuner@juno.com

Bill,

This is not a voicing problem.  The problem is the scaling of the
strings in the low tenor.  Every piano has this problem to some
degree but the GH1 is one of the worst I have seen.  It's the same
problem that keeps you from tuning the G below middle C on an
Acrosonic.  The strings in this area are too short.  This means that
they have to put thicker wire but then the inharmonicity goes up.  So
you have tenor with very low tension about 30% of the breaking point
and high inharmonicity next to bass strings with low inharmonicity
and 65% of the breaking point.  This is the reason the tenor goes out
of tune so radically with weather changes.  Later models put a couple
of wound unisions on the tenor side of the break.  This is the only
answer, but the whole low tenor is bad enough that it doesn't make a
huge differnce.

You can help a little with voicing but  don't overdo it or you will
kill off the fundamental and just have those strange harmonics left.
Sometimes pushing a needle through the side of the hammer under the
strike point will help.  This is one of those cases where you have to
know that you are beat before you start and that you can never get a
nice smooth tone across the break.  Yamaha is a great company and
make many wonderful pianos but the GH1 just doesn't live up to the
rest of their models.  Some of the other small grands are humidity
sensitive at the break but none of the other have the tonal problems
of this model.

Ron

Ron Berry, RPT, Indianapolis, IN
mailto:ronberry@iquest.net