Pinblock removal

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 15:53:50 -0500

----------
> From: Tunapiana@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Pinblock removal
> Date: Wednesday, August 27, 1997 3:37 PM
>
> Hello list! I hope someone out there can help me with this situation.
>
> I have in my shop a 100+ year old Lyon & Healy vertical with a 3/4 plate.
The
> pinblock is totally open-faced with a real bad split running the whole
length
> of the treble section so I have decided to replace it. The problem is it
just
> won't budge! I have taken a hammer and wood chisel to it across the top
and
> have tried to wedge it away from the back, and I have even tried a brick
> layer's cold-chisel with a 3" wide blade and hitting it with a 2lb hammer
>  and still it won't move. I have purchased some heavy-duty wallpaper
paste
> remover but can't figure out how to get this chemical into where it needs
> go. (without drilling a bunch of holes) This pinblock is 55" x 8" x 1 7/8
> SOLID ROCK MAPLE. I have looked very carefully for any possible hidden
screws
> or bolts from the back and believe I have every fastener loosened. I have
the
> new block already and need to get the old one off relatively in one piece
so
> routing it out is definately out of the question. Can anyone help me?? I
> would be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.
>
> Thanking in advance...
> Greg Torres, Niceville Fl
> Tunapiana@aol.com
Dear Greg,
First make a pattern as best you can of the original block.
If it were me I would drill several holes right at the junction of where
the block comes into contact with the stretcher towards the middle.  Using
a keyhole saw for starters saw the entire width of the block.  As you saw
across use your chisels to space and hold the separation between stretcher
and block.  This should tell you if dowels were used or if the block was
tennoned into the stretcher.
Make sure you do the best you can on the pattern and every measurement you
can reference to.
James Grebe
pianoman@inlink.com