Steinway B regulation.

Eric Leatha tunrboy@teleport.com
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 16:08:35 -0800

>>I am servicing a Steinway B grand made in  about 1968.
>>
>>While checking it out and tuning,  it didn't feel right.  I found:
>>1. Jack tenders blocking hard.  One broke while I was tuning.
>>2. Blow about 1 and 5/8"  which is short of the 1 3/4" that Sienway suggests.
>>3. Key dip was not real even but in the .390 range.
>>4. The drop screws were screwed way down but the drop wasn't as wide as I
>>expected from looking at the      position of the drop screw tops.
>>5. Action frame and flange screws where tight.
>>
>>The specs are off but not so much that I would expect the tenders to block as
>>"hard" as they were.
>>I lowered one capstan to get that hammer to a 1 3/4" blow and the jack still
>>blocked hard.
>>
>>When I go back this Friday I plan to take the stack and keys off the key
>>frame,
>>set the glides, put it back together and see what the regulation specs are
>>then.
>>Then diagnose to see what the problems are at that point.
>>
>>This is the first "B" I have worked on and I would like whatever suggestions
>>list members can give.  Especially if the "B" regulates a little
>>different from
>>most other pianos.
>>
>>Thanks ahead!!!!
>>Rolland Miller, 70642,3604@compuserve.com
>
>Rolland,
>
>I may be wrong, but last time I checked, the hammer blow on B's and D's was
>1 7/8 inches.  My Steinway Tech Guide is at my office, but I remember
>running into a similar instance a couple years ago.   This should give you
>a little more hammer travel to work with.   Perhaps someone else has their
>manual handy and can verify this.  Happy reg'latin'!
>

>"Tunings are like bridges... Some are more exceptional than others, but
>they all get the job done."
>
>Eric Leatha, RPT
>Portland, OR
>tunrboy@teleport.com

Just sat down and checked the manual- Rolland's right- 1 3/4 inch on S - B.
Sorry.

Eric Leatha, RPT
Portland, OR
tunrboy@teleport.com
 "Work is love made visible.  And if you cannot work with love but only
with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the
gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy."
-Kahlil Gibran