Steinway D Duplex

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 18:39:09 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Dianne,

Please pardon my butting in here. I'm not Del, but I've seen this kind of
thing before. Check the soundboard crown, from underneath with a string. I'm
betting it's negative in this area. I'm guessing the rebuilder lowered the
plate to get positive bearing on the bridge, ignoring (or never noticing)
the flat board, and discovered that more downbearing on an already flat
board sounded worse than it had before teardown. I'd bet the shim is an
attempt to make it "less bad" after the fact. Maybe you could post some
soundboard crown and bearing measurements from various sections along the
treble bridge??? Might be educational, could be hogwash. <G>

Ron Nossaman

>>> I am working on a Steinway Model D that was rebuilt by another technician
>>> about 2 years ago.  The middle treble rear duplex has been shimmed up by
>>> just over 1/16".  I wonder if anybody has had any experience doing this and
>>> if so, what would indicate the necessity for this, and what were the
>>> effects both positive and potentially negative...  Also, duplex bar in the
>>> raised section is not aligned at all properly, i.e. 4 strings up on one
>>> aliquot, 2 on the next, one down, 3 up, etc.  This will be realigned, but
>>> would like some input on the shim at the same time...
>>>
>>> There is a very "dead" section in this piano (Octave 4) that none of the
>>> obvious has remedied -- section just below the raised duplex section.  This
>>> is our concert instrument here, so any input on these matters would be
>>> greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Respectfully,
>>>
>>> Dianne R. Salem, RPT
>>> California State University, Fullerton