Pinblock removal

Fri, 29 Aug 1997 18:56:33 -0700

DGPEAKE@aol.com wrote:

> Can you remove the sides?  I had to glue sides back on a piano that fell off
> a truck. If you can remove them to get to the pinblock, then fit the block,
> drill it, and glue the sides back on.
>
> Steve Ganz, RPT in Portland, OR is now installing a pinblock and soundboard
> on an upright.  You may want to give him a call.
>
> Dave Peake, RPT
> Portland, OR

It's always easier to pull an upright pinblock with the sides removed.
And it's about the only way to get at the soundboard.

Your mention of the upright Steve Ganz is doing doesn't really apply,
however. (I'm taking the liberty of briefly describing this piano
because he is not on pianotech and because I'm somewhat familiar with
the piano. We're making the soundboard for it.) It is a George Steck
from, perhaps, 1910 or so. There is no back assembly. The soundboard is
glued to a simple maple frame which is then solidly screwed to the back
of the plate. The pinblock is exposed and is screwed and/or bolted into
a recess provided on the front of the plate. An iron "sub-plate" extends
over part of the pinblock surface to give it extra support, though it
probably isn't really needed.

I saw the piano before it was torn down and was quite impressed with its
design. Steve has since sent me pictures of them disassembling the
piano. The entire case assembly, including the keybed and arms unbolted
and lifted off intact, leaving the plate, soundboard and pinblock on the
tilter. Interesting construction.

If this description whet's your appetite, contact Steve for more
details.

--ddf
Delwin D Fandrich
pianobuilders@olynet.com