Tuning Prices

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:40:37 +0100

Now in one of the more civilised parts of the world, professional
organisations, are allowed to set minimum prices as a guide line for its
members.

Both U.K. tuning organisations set minimum price standards for its
members.  They are divided in to a North south price structure.  In the
North of England it is £24.00 and for the South of England it is £35.00
this is for straight forward fine tuning for a customer who has their
piano tuned twice a year.

I have been reading the posts in the last couple of days, after
returning from my well deserved vacation and was quite amazed that the
price difference between the two sides of the Atlantic.  However, on
reflection I realise that piano tuners in the U.K. do not have the added
burden of public liability insurance (if they are a member of one of
the organisations) or Medical insurance.

I personally live in Blackburn, in  the North of England which is an EEC
designated 2 area,  an EEC designated 1 area is classed as equivalent to
the third world poverty status and high unemployment.  There are only
two areas within the EEC Liverpool and Southern Italy with Grad 1
status.

I  charge £28.00 for a straightforward tuning £34.00, for a small pitch
move and £45.00 for a semitone pitch move.  On the
semitone pitch move the customer must have it tuned again one month
later at £34.00.  I do have competitors in my area who are charging as
little as £18.00, also, I have members of piano tuning organisations who
stick to the recommended price structure.

We do have similar laws in the U.K. regarding monopolise and Companies
forming cartels.  However, this is aimed at multinational companies and
not tradesman.

Take care,

Barrie.

In article <970829195205_-267122745@emout19.mail.aol.com>,
DGPEAKE@aol.com writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |