Soundboard Refinishing Query

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Mon, 01 Dec 1997 12:07:31 -0700

At 09:14 PM 11/29/97 -0500, you wrote:

>This problem cannot be new. Any suggestions that I might use?
>
>Thanks
>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

Bill,
	Bleaching is probably the real answer, as has been suggested. I've had
good luck with Oxalic acid, available at the drug stores. It's not as
caustic as the peroxide/hypochloride type procedures, and doesn't put off
as much fumes. You can apply it in any concentration you want, and it
rinses clean pretty well, without transposing through the new finish any
time soon. Couple of things to try, with any bleaching:
	>lightly brush the darkened area with a stiff wire brush before
bleaching, with the grain, to enhance the depth of the grain
	>use extra lights, or sunlight, if possible
	>try to not sand too much, afterward, 'cause the bleached part is the
raised grain.

Good luck, have fun, and watch out for them chemicals!

Guy