keytop replacment questions ( and ivorine story )

Tue, 02 Dec 1997 07:42:21 -0800

Gregory Torres wrote:

> Dave:
>
> Not all the pre-molded keytops are .90"   and ivorine is very hazardous to
> work with. There are good keytops available from Yamaha without tops as well
> as the ones from American Supply and Schaff.  Vagias Ventures sells a whole
> assortment of keytops, in many shades of white, off-white and simulated
> ivory.
>
> Regarding ivorine-I once almost set my shop (and house) on fire when I tried
> using my table saw to cut off a whole set of really stubborn fronts from
> this one particular grand (didn't know they were ivorine) when about halfway
> through the cut flames and toxic smoke arose out from under the table saw
> and if it wasn't for my quick reaction with a shop rag and fire extinguisher
> it would have been really bad.
>
> Ever use a heat gun to remove old ivory? works real good but don't try it on
> ivorine.....
>
> Any body else have any "Scary Ivorine" stories?
>
> Greg Torres

Are we talking about the new sheet "ivorine" here, or the older celluloid that was used many long years ago?

I worked with ivorine for many years with no problems. It came in sheet form and we cut it into roughly 1" x 6" pieces to
glue onto keys. Trimming was done either with an Osland key trimmer, or later with a sliding table on a router table.

I never found "ivorine" to be particularly flammable. Now, celluloid was a whole other matter...

-- ddf