keytop replacment questions ( and ivorine story )

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 08:56:26 +0000

> Date:          Tue, 02 Dec 1997 07:42:21 -0800
> From:          Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: keytop replacment questions ( and ivorine story )

Actually I think that was the celluloid stuff I burned off.
What I didn't like about ivorine was the dimpled effect you
could see.  I've never installed ivorine but I suppose that
might have been caused by too much glue or uneven surface?

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> Are we talking about the new sheet "ivorine" here, or the older celluloid that was used many long years ago?
>
> I worked with ivorine for many years with no problems. It came in sheet form and we cut it into roughly 1" x 6" pieces to
> glue onto keys. Trimming was done either with an Osland key trimmer, or later with a sliding table on a router table.
>
> I never found "ivorine" to be particularly flammable. Now, celluloid was a whole other matter...
>
> -- ddf

ilvey
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@a.crl.com