Strip muting problem

Brad Smith bsmith006@sprintmail.com
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 03:42:36 -0500

BSimon1234@aol.com wrote:

> <<the strings were very close to the plate, it was nearly impossible to get a
> strip to stay between the strings. Suggestions?>>

I have been a 'stripper' for over 17 years now.  Yes, I must confess...
I used a rotary cutter to split a regular 1" temperment strip into two
skinny strips. These work great in the treble of course, and in the top
of the mid-section, (below the strike point, be careful of damper felt).
Buy every tool that you feel like, it's good for you, and your customers
will pay for it.  I have tried most of them, and still prefer strip
muting
the whole piano, and getting all octaves first before unisons.

...BUT, you bring up an interesting subject. I'd like to know what
tuning
sequences people use and why.  Currently, I strip mute the whole piano,
do
the temperment/mid section, then treble octaves, bass octaves, re-check
everything, then unisons from bass to treble. Anyone have thoughts on
how
your tuning sequence relates to stability?

I think it was at Yamaha 'Little Red School House' where I saw a tech
who
tunes the temperment and mid section, unisons and all, before proceeding
into bass or treble.

As always, thanks for everyone's input.
Brad Smith, RPT
Manchester, NH