wandering soundboard cracks

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 13:48:24 -0700

At 10:54 PM 12/3/97 -0600, David wrote:

>lbs, in the springtime. I learned last week that because of
>some problems last year with our building humidifiers, they
>have been disabled. We now have humidity readings in the
>15-18% RH range. Anyone have any info on how long wood can
>be kept at that low a humidity before damage occurs? Should
>I start typing my resume?

The five Steinways at the Jubilee Auditorium in Calgary sit at about that
humidity all the time. The oldest is an original S&S (never rebuilt) D from
1956 with new factory hammers and shanks. The soundboards, bridges and
tuning pins are good on all seven pianos (there are two Heintzmans as
well), although the 1978 D has had a couple of dozen pins replaced with 3-0s.

If you can keep the humidity fairly stable at that level there shouldn't be
too many problems, although you may have some repinning to do. It's so dry
here that even when the main bowl (2750 seats) is full the humidity doesn't
change much. Singers hate it, but the pianos don't seem to mind if you keep
them serviced properly. I suspect the dryness actually preserves them a bit.

				John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com