pinblock drill size

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 21:47:34 -0600 (CST)

Way back before I started using Delignit, I used to drill these blocks at
1/4", .250. I've seen these blocks go from 200 in/lb to too loose to hold in
five years in school buildings heated with radiators. That's why I switched
to Delignit.

Bill, I think your drill sizes are too big for this material. I double drill
Delignit, .250 first pass. This clears out the bulk of the chips, and the
feed speed and generated heat isn't as critical. Then I drill 6.8mm on the
second pass (could be 6.7 if necessary). Not much material removed, not much
heat generated, very uniform feel without much skill involved (drill press
setup, floated on air to move between pins). I recommend using ONLY cut
thread pins. Mic a dozen or two from each set and buy the next set from
someone else until you get a uniform supply. You would like to be getting no
more than a couple of thousandths variation between pins at worst. I like
the Japanese produced pins for their uniformity. I'm curious to see what
other responses this thread generates.

Regards, Ron

At 07:13 PM 12/7/97 EST, you wrote:

>Philip Jamison wrote;
>
><<Right now, I'm using the standard-model (and lower-priced) block
>from American Piano Supply. I'm planning to use a "G" bit for 2/0 pins
>(one size smaller than 7/32"). Anyone have any recommendations?>>
>
>Between  the G drill, .2610", and the 9/32" pin- .2812", there are a dozen
>standard sizes of drills.  Any drilling technique should be able to find a
>standard drill that works well. A partial list of possibles:
>G			.2610"
>6.7mm		.2638"
>17/64 		.2656"
>6.75mm	.2657"
>H			.2660
>6.8mm		.2677"
>6.9mm		.2717"
>I			.2720"
>
>Don't forget about the metric drills, they are now readily available.
>
>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

 Ron Nossaman