The Revenaugh Lower Lid in New York Times

Mon, 08 Dec 1997 23:02:14 -0800

Benjamin Treuhaft wrote:

>      Today's NYT has a front-page story on a new invention: a lower lid
> which collects and reflects outward the tone from the bottom of the
> soundboard - tone which normally just bounces around down there.  The
> only part of the idea I don't like is that with the lower lid in place
> there is no room for me.  I love to sit under pianos when they're being
> played.  You have to pretend you are checking the substructure or the
> customer will think you're nuts.
> Benjamin Treuhaft
> Berkeley, Calif.

-----------------------------

I looked up the story in the NYT and found it to be quite interesting. Especially the part that said Mr Revenaugh held the
patent on the device.

Odd. I'm sure I've came across an old patent on this idea before. As in, from several decades back. Anyone living near a
library housing the proper reference works up to doing a quick patent search?

Personally, I'm not sure just how effective the device would be in a concert hall. I should think that if you were standing
close to the instrument on the treble side you might notice some difference. Back ten rows, I kind of doubt you'd hear much,
if any, change, let alone any improvement.

I should think, however, that this might be somewhat like positioning the instrument, or deciding on voicing: shouldn't it
kind of be up to the musicians? The pianist and the conductor. Even, perhaps, the piano manufacturer. Surely it's not a
decision for the "artistic director" alone to make.

Del.