keytop replacment questions

Tue, 09 Dec 1997 14:41:24 -0800

Anne,

With respect, the letter of the import regulations
still allows customs officials to confiscate any/all
ivory they encounter.  In the spirit of enforcement,
they have ruined the keyboards of several instruments
I have seen, including some with irreplacable
19th Cent. fancy work.  Ripped a full set of keys
off a Pleyel art case.

As Jacques Clouseau once said, "not any more"...

As this seems to be yet another area where the only
consistency is inconsistency, the only way to
avoid the problem is to completely avoid it.

Age of the item has been deemed to be
irrelevant as often as not.

Sorry.

Horace

At 05:07 PM 12/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>At 01:07 PM 12/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>Peter,
>>
>>Is it illegal to own a piano with ivory keytops? Is it illegal to replace
>>missing ivory keytops with recycled ivory keytops? Dave mentions a product
>>called "Ivorine" which you state contains ivory. I do not believe this
>>material contains ivory, if it did, wouldn't it be illegal to manufacture?
>>
>>Does anyone know what the real laws are regarding ivory as it applies to
our
>>profession?
>>
>>John Piesik
>>

>   You may own such an instrument, you may replace keytops with recycled
>ivory keytops.  The problems happen when importing ivory.  Then it gets
>nasty.   In the spirit of discouraging fresh ivory collection, the import
>offices are overconservative about importing good made of ivory.  It is
>necessary to prove the age of the item.  I'm not sure what the precise
>requirements are.
>

>Anne Beetem
>Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
>2070 Bingham Ct.