Soundboard Thoughts

Tue, 09 Dec 1997 15:13:27 -0800

Danny,

This kind of fix is going to vary in effectiveness
on many different parameters.  But, there is
every reason for it to work.  Questions are
going to include things like:

What's going on in the "dead" area of the
soundboard?

Does the width of the toe of the board allow
a lot of, or discernable standing wave distortion?

Is the board "bound" between the top of the
bass bridge and the back of the tenor section
of the treble bridge?

I'm not sure about 6 or 7 seconds, maybe
Del could shed some light, but certainly some
improvement might be possible.

Horace

At 11:52 PM 12/8/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Susan,
>
>Wouldn't this sort of work as the inverse of weighting soundboards?  I've
never
>heard a plausable explanation of why the lead weights work, but I've heard
1 or 2
>well placed weights add 6 or 7 seconds to bass sustain while damping out
>unpleasant overtones.
>
>Danny Moore
>Houston Chapter
>
>Susan Kline wrote:
>
>>  use a router and/or plane to thin one side, with the strings still on
>> and at pitch. Possibly they could add mass to the other side as well, by
>> gluing or clamping something to those ribs.

Horace Greeley

Systems Analyst/Engineer
Controller's Office
Stanford University