Soundboards with and without

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Wed, 10 Dec 97 23:09:49 -0000

Barrie writes:

>When the new ribs are installed are the bridges taken off ,  is the
>sound board placed on a flat surface or a bevelled  surface

A bevelled surface Barrie.

> are all of
>the ribs taken off at once or are they replaced one by one

Position of all ribs is marked, then they're all planed off at once.

> are go bars
>used to apply pressure to the new ribs,

I do not know what "go bars" are, but I suspect they are long bars between "a" ceiling and the ribs. This is the procedure followed.

>what type of glue is used,

White glue

>and do any of the butt joint of the sound board fail during the process.

What are "butt joints"?

>Are the ribs cut to the same size and thickness,

Yes, no fooling around.

>do you tune the ribs,

Never done before (Thank you Susan!)

>do you put a shape to the ribs so as to increase the downbering

Sometimes yes, sometimes no

>what
>factors do you use to  choose the ribs, do you try to mach the wood  to
>the same forest.

The wood bought for this purpose is "sound board wood"..no frills

>I have seen a  Chappell  piano which this was done to,  the tone was Ok.
>However, I could not do a before and after comparison.   As I never seen
>the piano before.    The only reason I new it had new ribs on it was the
>usual, piano tuner arrives before the piano and I noticed them thay
>stuck out like a sour thum.

Indeed, the new wood sticks out, but a sore thumb?

>Sorry, if you have answered all of these questions before.

Be my guest...or.. as they say : "Doh i tashi mash teh"!

Friendly greetings from :

CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
André Oorebeek
Amsterdam, the Netherlands