Everett vertical pinblock separation

Maxpiano Maxpiano@aol.com
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 20:52:37 EST

List -

I tuned an Everett vertical today - ca 1942 vintage - with about 1/8"
separation between the pinblock and the remainder of the back.  Since the
assembly was protected by 4 carriage bolts from the back through the plate,
and had the Everett trademark cast iron "levers" (backposts), I pointed the
crack out to the customer but gave the judgment that there would be no
problem.  The piano tuned up to A=440 with no difficulty.

On standard back construction (wood backposts) I would have recommended a
repair.  I have never seen this problem on that style Everett before.  Has
anyone else run into this?  What has been your experience i.e. prognosis?

Bill Maxim, RPT