The Revenaugh Lower Lid in New York Times reply reply interspersed

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 21:22:02 -0600

James Grebe
R.P.T. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"I am only as good as my last tuning"

----------
> From: ralph m martin <rmartin30@juno.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: The Revenaugh Lower Lid in New York Times reply
> Date: Friday, December 12, 1997 5:45 PM
>
> Hi James
> The original name for the bass reflex enclosure was : a phase inverter so
> you are absolutely correct. I've been designing loudspeaker enclosures
> for years so this is a subject close to my old heart.
>
> About the phasing of sound leaving the grand, though, I think you may be
> mistaken. It's safe to say that anything below 300hz is non-directional
> and all frequencies above that frequency  leave their source in a beam
> effect. This is why apartment dwellers hear mostly bass sounds from a
> piano played on the other side of the wall belonging to an adjacent
> apartment.
>
> The lid on a grand, when it is open does not affect the phasing of the
> sound, but actually redirects it or reflects it out toward the listener
> or whatever else is out there.

If the sound is being reflected off the back wall of the enclosure how is
that different than inside a piano where the sound is reflected off the
lid?

If we are to assume that, like
> loudspeakers, the SB is a transducer speaking from both sides of it's
> surface, then a drop lid of sorts on the bottom of the piano would do
> exactly the same thing as the lid (providing, of course, that it was
> reflecting the sound in the same direction). Any bass frequencies below
> 300 hz you will hear anyway, despite the lid direction.

Would the distance the bottom lid from the soundboard being different from
the upper lid and soundboard distance cause any difference in phasing or
sound delay or would it actually be enhancement and a fattening of the
sound?

> While reading all the posts on SB technology, I have tried to visualize
> any connection with loudspeaker design. I know that the loudspeaker, (if
> it is a single, extended range type) is conical in shape so that the
> entire diaphram acts like a piston for low frequencies and vibrates in
> partials for all the other frequencies.This would seem to be a good
> argument in favor of the crowned SB and it's resultant performance. While
> there have been some flat loudspeakers manufactured, they seem unable to
> transmit any strong bass content no matter how large.
>
> In Loudspeakers, the basic problem, when speaking from no baffle, is wave
> cancellation. The bass frequencies, being non-directional, tend to cancel
> themselves out by restricting themselves  in the rear of the speaker.
> Just mounting a speaker on a flat board helps simply by delaying slightly
> the front emanations from the rear. The next best approach is the phase
> inverter you mentioned.

Would the effect be different if the hole were mounted in the back or sides
of the enclosure?

It, through delay and tuning, places the signal