out of tune Wurlitzer

robert moffatt piano service moffattr@cadvision.com
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:50:19 -0700

Wimblees wrote:

> I have a problem that I hope some of you can help me with.
>
> The piano is a 30 year old Wurlitzer console. >
> For the last 3 years,
> however, whenever I tuned it, it was very badly out of tune. I tuned it again
> today, and the middle of the piano was almost 50 cents flat.

This bit 'o wisdom was passed on to me from my mentor's mentor, Hal T.
M. Lyne.  Hal noticed the same problem in Wurlitzers that are 20+ years
old.  The problem, in Hal's experience, was that the ribs which support
the soundboard (giving it its 'crown') are not embedded in the case;
they are simply slapped onto the back of the soundboard.  After time,
because there is no additional reinforcement from the case, the wood of
the ribs and soundboard simply 'gives out' and the downbearing on the
bridges flatten the soundboard.  Ergo, the whole danged thing goes flat.
So, check the ribs and see if in fact they are just slapped on the
soundboard.  If so, then that's probably why the thing has started to go
flat in odd places.

How do you fix it?  Don't ask me.  I'm just an apprentice and have
enough trouble setting a concert temperament.  Of course, I don't have
any flashing lights to help me out so it's taking me a little longer to
learn.  Then again, I hope to be a better tuner for it, neh?

If you've any questions about possible repairs, you can E-mail my boss
directly.

Cheers!

					Scott Pickett
					Philosopher, Projectionist &