out of tune Wurlitzer (Dels' reply)

Wimblees Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 22:35:23 EST

In a message dated 97-12-19 11:26:56 EST, Del Fandrich writes:

>The practice does, of course, demand good gluing practices. Practices
>Wurlitzer had only a loose acquaintance with. I once
>purchased an unstrung back assembly from Wurlitzer for some experiments. I
>got really busy just after receiving it and didn't
>get to it for a couple of years. By then the back assembly was already
>showing signs of disintegration. Glue joints were
>already failing, and the back hadn't even been strung yet.

Del:

Are you saying that how the ribs are attached to the soundboard is not
important, but rather that what is important is that they are attached firmly?

This soundboard is horizontal, with the grain running from left to right. I
haven't looked at how the ribs are attached, but does this have any effect on
how long the piano stays in tune?

A lot of suggestions were given for my out of tune piano, and I want to thank
everyone for contributing. I am confident it is not an atmospheric problem. If
it is a pin block seperation, or if the screws need to be tightened, I can
make those repairs. However, I am inclined to think that glue failure as Del
mentioned, is probably the cause. If that is indeed the problem, is there
anything that can be done to fix it? Or is it time to recommend a new piano?

Willem Blees