A Metalic Buzz

Terry Beckingham Terry_Beckingham@mbnet.mb.ca
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 00:33:02 -0600 (CST)

Hi All,

I have a problem that I hope someone out there can help me with. I have just
finished restringing a Sherlock-Manning upright (1916) and got it back up to
pitch. There is a strange metalic buzzing when any of the notes from A0 to
G1 are played. I have checked for loose parts, checked between the plate and
soundboard for pieces of foreign matter,etc. The ends of the whippens aren't
contacting the strings. There is downbearing on the bass bridge, strings
have been tapped down at all of the bearing points, etc.

I have removed the offending strings and put an additional twist in them
with no improvement. I am at a loss as to what is causing the buzz. It is
loudest near the bass bridge. The bridge is solidly attached to the
soundboard. The bridge cap was separating near the lower end and was reglued
with epoxy and clamped until the glue set.  Soundboard cracks were repaired
with shims and was re-glued where the ribs had separated.

Any suggestions as to what would be causing the buzz will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas to all

Terry