informal/definitions/rerere

Mon, 29 Dec 1997 21:01:43 -0800

Danny Moore wrote:

> .... Since you were down to the soundboard, what
> should be done to it?  Is it "repaired" i.e., shims and refinish?  Just basically
> cosmetic?  If we agree with Del, then we probably shouldn't "rebuild" the board since it's already been subjected to
> compression stress.  Obviously
> the board is not pristine if the action is shot, the strings are dead and the
> pin block is in need of replacement.
>
> I don't think we agreed whether the soundboard was the heart, the soul or the armpit of the piano, but it is fundamental to
> the sound of the beast.  What should be done when "rebuilding"?
>
> Danny Moore (TX)

Actually, I do think that some soundboards can be repaired. If the soundboard shows strong crown with the pianos strung and
with a reasonable amount of downbearing, why not? It is the compression-crowned soundboard that has gone flat due to the
various compression ridges, cracks, compression set, etc., that I have a problem with. There is no way to restore lasting
crown to these boards, hence they will always be an acoustical liability.

-- ddf