To Bush, Perchance to Dream

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 13:40:22 -0600 (CST)

Hi Theodore,

You must have a right arm that looks like a thigh. <G> Seriously though, I
tuned a lot of Hamilton studios in practice rooms the first year or so I was
in business and found it to be valuable training for dealing with tight
pins. In retrospect, they weren't nearly as abusive as the average new
Kimball. Actually, it's not the tight pins I object to with these blocks, as
much as the erratic pin torque. The normal, no, usual variations in tuning
pin diameter within a set makes uniform torque virtually impossible with a
block this dense.

About ten or twelve years ago, I was doing some tuning work for a Baldwin
dealer who has since gone on to less stressful employment. He had been
getting complaints from the floor tuner about the pin torque in a new SD-10
(9'). I took my torque wrench over and we went through the piano together
taking readings, and making notes. This was in the Summer, and the readings
ranged from just at 300 in/lb to about 25. All of the low torque readings
had pins riding the plate, but not all the plate riders had low torque
readings (just to confuse the issue). We called Baldwin and talked to Alan
Vincent, who was the "Technical Interface" at the time. He said that they
carefully checked torque readings at the factory and fixed anything that
read over 300 in/lb. He didn't mention raising low readings. I don't know at
what torque the plastic deformation limit is exceeded in a 2/0 tuning pin,
but I doubt it's an awful lot higher than this. Anybody know? Mr. Vincent
also staunchly defended and dismissed the absence of plate bushings as
"traditional" and had a few things to say about the pinblock as well. His
story was that this block was chosen because of it's dimensional stability
with humidity changes. In other words, the changes in pin torque between
Winter and Summer will be minimal. This was to make the tuning easier and
more stable, and the block should last nearly forever. Admirable intent! He
also maintained that one couldn't expect any better uniformity of pin torque
in a production situation because they couldn't take the time to custom fit
each individual tuning pin as one person could in a small shop. This was
news to me. I wasn't aware that a one person shop could take the time to
custom fit each individual pin in a block when rebuilding and still feed the
employee. Interesting concepts. Not getting any help from the fountainhead,
we decided to wait and see what Winter brought.

We attacked the piano again in November with my torque wrench and found
readings from a high of about 225 in/lb to lows below 10. So much for
dimensional stability. He eventually sold the piano somewhere out of state,
so I don't know how it fared after that.

So that's what I've got against the Baldwin pinblock. It doesn't leave the
manufacturer enough margin for error to work well in a production
environment. With the best of all possible intentions, and lavishing much
more care than is economically feasible, they couldn't produce a product
with uniform tuning pin torque, using this block, even with bigger plate
holes or bushings. Perhaps with tapered pins like the old Vose.

That's also why I use Delignit. There is a greater margin for error so I am
not required to supply a degree of perfection I'm not capable of. It makes
me look better than I am.

Are we havin' fun yet? Ron

At 02:01 AM 12/31/97 EST, you wrote:
>to Ron Nossaman
>                          I learned to tune on those Baldwin granite blocks
>for about 2 years before I ever tuned anything else, and after all of those
>years, If theyre not granite theyre loose. It takes some getting used to, what
>is really too loose. I love them!!!
>                                                               Happy New Year
>                                                                Theodore

 Ron Nossaman