A can of worms, a brief reply

David Miller dmiller@cloud9.net
Thu, 02 Jan 1997 15:27:43 -0400

To the list:

I didn't intend to add my 2 cents to the whole discussion, since it's off
topic and is best fought in other arenas, but I can't just let this sit
here for everyone to read without responding. I'm a professional software
developer (and pianist), with 15 years of experience in the field, and
have worked with and programmed extensively on both Macs and PCs. I've
been reading this list for the past couple of months now (I'm extremely
interested in the technical aspects of pianos as well as in playing them;
and my own tech has spent enough time with me so that I know how to do most
of my own action regulation; tuning's a different story, though...:).

>	I often look at the IBM vs MAC fight with the same viewpoint that
>I had back in the early 80's when our family purchased their first video
>cassette recorder.  I remember the salesman showing both Beta and VHS
>formats and the Beta was such a superior machine that we purchased one.
>The Beta was more expensive and had a better picture.  The VHS was less
>expensive and the quality was definately lacking.  Over time, like
>everything else, low prices led the way and the Beta was choked out.
>Fortunately, VHS machines improved and not long from now,  few people
>will remember the Beta machines.
>	As for the Mac and IBM,  it seems to me to follow the same
>pattern.  IBM was around and then Apple designed their MAC with a
>pointing device, which was a dream come true compared to DOS and 8
>letter file names.  IBM sensing the magnitude of what could happen,
>teamed up with Microsoft and had Windows designed as a competitor to the
>MAC.  Apple made a bad marketing move by being more expensive and not
>licensing out (so as to keep all of the monies themselves).  IBM
>licensed out and everyone making an IBM clone pays royalties to IBM (for
>better or for worse).

Only problem is, this analogy SOUNDS nice but doesn't really work. I've
seen this one discussed and pretty much debunked before. Hardly anyone
bought Beta machines and they were choked out almost from the start. The
video industry never went into widespread sales and distribution of beta
tapes. Beta was techologically superior to VHS but stillborn.

As for Mac, it's been around more than 10 years; there are 55 million units
installed worldwide; Apple sells more than 4 million systems a year; 3rd
party clones are now licensed and becoming widely available; 20% of Internet
users log on from a Mac; there are nearly 10,000 software titles available
for the Mac; and the price of Apple and Mac-compatible systems recently
dropped to PC-comparable levels (now that clone manufacturers are exerting
pricing pressure).

BTW, IBM and Microsoft are not allies, as your note implies. IBM did not
team up with Microsoft and have Windows designed as a competitor. IBM tried
to go their own route with OS/2 and failed.

>	The MAC probably is a better computer when it comes to graphics
>and multimedia, but these features are rarely used in the business
>world.  Most businesses need databases.  In the classroom, schools tend
>to use more multimedia because of its educational value but in their
>business offices, it's usually an IBM compatible.  As for me, I've
>*surfed the net*, but frankly I don't have that kind of time to waste.
>I need a business computer and a way to access this list !!!

If your primary needs in a business computer are database related, then
for you this may be valid. There are definitely more db programs available
for PC's. But in every other "business" category, there's great software
readily available for both platforms.

>	As time goes on and more businesses use the internet, it'll be
>interesting to see what happens.  As for me, I cannot see that I'll ever
>purchase a MAC.  Just as Mom & Dad switched over to VHS when there was
>little selection in movies either in buying or renting, I certainly am
>not going to go buy a computer that has such little software
>availability.

Little software availability? See above. The misperception about the
volume of Mac software titles is because it is typically purchased mail-order
through large catalog houses, rather than at retail outlets. You may also
not be aware that many "Windows" CD-ROMS are actually hybrid discs that contain
both Mac and Windows versions of the same software (that's because a
majority of
multimedia title authoring is done on the Mac platform, so it's a simple
task to
put out a hybrid title). Anyone can check out a web page like:
http://www.warehouse.com/ or http://www.pacbus.com/ClubMACHome/
to see an extensive list of Mac software titles.

>	Just my 2 cents worth, thrown to the fire.
>
>Ron Shiflet

To each his own. Personally, having spent years wasting my time fiddling with
CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to configure PC's while running Macs alongside, I'm
happy that I can work exclusively on Macs in my current job. I would never
consider purchasing a Windows-based PC for any of my personal or professional
work... :)

David Miller
dmiller@cloud9.net