No subject

Saturday, January 04, 1997 2:24 PM

>From Sy Zabrocki

How often do tuning pins break while tuning? Apparently not very often. It
would interesting to know how many tuners have broken one and how many have
not.

In 38 years I never have experienced a broken pin. This time represents
about 32,000 tunings.  Also, I have never seen a broken agraffe. Have I
just been lucky?<

In 24 years:

broken tuning pins-  zero.
broken agraffes-  maybe a dozen.  One on a new 1974 Mason & Hamlin, all the
rest on Steinways from 1910-1930.

Myler, Tom

"Perhaps the greatest wisdom is
       the knowledge of one's ignorance"