Tuners--Broken Pins

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 23:28:12 -0500

Sy and list -

I'd say you have been lucky on both scores.

Regarding broken tuning pins, I have dealt with them twice over the past 45
years.  The first time was 35 years ago while repinning a Krakauer grand.
 E-Z Out only spread it, so I bought a drift punch and pushed it on through.
 It took a much bigger pin after that!

Second time was replacing a slipping tuning pin in an upright which I thought
had a mushy pin block.  My oversize fit so tight, it snapped off at the
becket.

I have never had one snap in the actual tuning of the piano.

Regarding agraffes I still have most of the supply I ordered when running
into the first one on an S&S grand ca 40 years ago.  I think I have replaced
2 since then.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Greer, SC

PS - One other time I had to deal indirectly with a broken tuning pin was
when I was called by our State Law Enforcement Division to try to dig a slug
out of a piano that was a victim of a drive-by shooting.  The slug had passed
through the headboard of a girl's bed (inches above her head while she slept)
and into the upright piano on the opposite wall, snapping off a bass tuning
pin in the process.  The splattered wad of lead I handed them (after boring a
chunk of the plate out) was of absolutely no help in identifying the weapon;
they suspected a spurned boyfriend.