Tuning Exam Tip

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Mon, 06 Jan 1997 08:32:08 -0500

     Dear List,

     Dean Reyburn wrote on 10/21/96:

     "Here's a tip for SAT users taking the test; an FAC tuning will
     usually pass the test in the high 80% or 90% range if well laid on the
     piano. The only problem area is the highest octave. When you reach C7
     subtract one more cent each time you tune a white key until at C8 you
     will subtract 8 cents from the FAC C8 original reading. That will
     usually pass with a high score."

     During my tuning exam on 1/5/97 I exactly followed the above tip.  I
     was nearly docked 7 points because the highest octave was TOO flat
     (the examiners were gracious and tossed out two notes that were
     marginally flat in the highest octave).  Out of all due respect, Dean,
     I would like to suggest to all future examinees of the tuning test to
     tune the best you can - like you normally would in the real world.
     Don't use any fancy tips or tricks - you'll fair better.  I still
     scored a 95% in the high treble section, but the notes I missed were
     all in the last octave as a direct result of using the above tip.
     (The rest of the SAT electronic tuning scored in the mid-high 90's.)

     Dean, I don't mean to state that your help was not useful, it was VERY
     useful - thanks (except for the tricky tip!).  I look forward to
     seeing your CyberTuner in Sacramento in February!

     Very Respectfully,

     John Piesik, RPT  :)