broken agraffes

Richard M remoody@easnetsd.com
Mon, 06 Jan 1997 10:20:54 -0600

----------
> From: Jim <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU>
> To: Richard M <remoody@easnetsd.com>
> Cc: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: broken agraffes
> Date: Sunday, January 05, 1997 8:25 AM
>
> To the list in general:
>
> Several times on this list the name Steinway has been mentioned as the
> brand on which Agraffes were found breaking.  In defense of the name,
snip

That's why I am wondering if these Steinways were restrung.

On the subject of seating the agraffes I have heard the proper remedy for
seating and alinement is to use shims.   I am wondering if it is also
practice to try a different agraffe?  On the job I mentioned, I needed a
shim, but had none.  However upon  trying a different agraffe it fit.  I
reasoned that threads must be cut at different starting points and wondered
if builders and rebuilders ever consider this.

Richard Moody