Yamaha Silent Piano

c_farinella@conknet.com c_farinella@conknet.com
Mon, 06 Jan 1997 17:53:13 +0000

Recently I was called to service a Yamaha Silent Piano, and when I asked
if the woman had had any problems with the piano, she mentioned that she
found that it missed notes on a soft blow, and she didn't feel that she
had the control she might like.

These pianos are apparently intended to have a letoff distance of 6-8 mm
(1/4 inch or so), in order to allow the silent function to operate
correctly.  This obviously will create the problems this woman has,
without leaving me any way to correct it.

If I tell her that the piano is not capable of being properly regulated,
neither she, the dealer, or Yamaha will be very happy, yet that seems to
be the bottom line here.  It seems to me that if there is a performance
issue related to this "silent" thing, it would be better to tell the
customer up front of the trade offs involved, rather than wait for a
problem to develop.

Has anyone had this situation arise?  Suggestions?

Charles Farinella, RPT
c_farinella@conknet.com