Sharing SAT tunings

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 19:59:20 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Michel Lachance wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a very delicate question here.  Just throw at me if I'm out of
> common sense.
>
> Would it be possible to share generic tunings in this forum?  And what
> about having a tuning bank where we could all share our best SAT
> pages.
>
> Michel Lachance, RPT

My personal feeling is that it wouldn't be a good idea.  I know that some
people sell their favorite tunings, but how can one know for sure that
the piano he is tuning is exactly like the generic tuning he plans to
use.  Inventronics includes some generic tunings with each SAT
purchased.  This does two things for them that I can think of.  For those
who have difficulty understanding the FAC procedures right away, they
have at least something they can use, even if it does not fit exactly
right.  This also gives them a chance to check out the memory and they
just leave them in there as a gift.  I don't use any of them because I
am never positive that I am tuning the exact same model for which the
generic tuning was derived.  I know that the Walter piano has changed
scaling at least twice since the original.  I know that certain Kawai
grands years ago had their plates set wrong (what? a 2 1/4" string at
note 88? come on)  One of my sons ran into a Steinway grand like that
also, he couldnt get NEW strings to stay without breaking.  Now gen-
erally these companies are very good at maintaining their standards.

Jim Coleman, Sr.