UK Help with SAT

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Tue, 07 Jan 1997 22:43:43 -0800

Barrie Heaton wrote:

> I've had a strange phone call from  the Father of a piano tuner who
> bought a SAT three years ago and is unable to tune a piano acurate
> enough.  (I'm afraid you'll have to bear witrh me a little bit as I am
> still not that knowledeable on ETAs)  He says he's only received three
> FACs (This is the harmonic spreads of f3,A4 & C6 with the SAT set at f5,a5 &c6,respectively and then each raised an octave to read the differences between the partials.  The readings are fed into the computer inside the SAT so it can compute the correct
 settings for each note of that piano.  There are usually 20 full tunings for popular piano makes installed on pages of the computer memory.  If you decide to use these tunings, you should strip mute the piano(or atleast the A's) and tune A1-A2-A3-A4&A5 a
nd test aurally to see if that tuning fits that piano.(most of the time they don't) The FAC procedure on the machine is a much better procedure and requires few corrections on most pianos.)

>I'm sure you no what they are and this does not seem to be enough
> to cover the range of pianos he comes across.
>
> His Father informes me that he's had the SAT back to the U.K. agents for
> checking over at £70.00 ago and still no joy.  his Son,  is phoning me
> back later on to give me more information.  What I can gather from his
> Father he wants to know if he can buy more stored tunings from
> somewhere.  Is this possible?

Yes, but you can get into trouble using them, because piano scales
change all the time.  It sounds to me like operator trouble.  He needs
to read the manual several more times and write down his specific
questions so we can tackle them.

> Fineally can you reccommend some good series of articles I can pull off
> the PTGs archives I know Jim is a avid writer on the subject.

Do you have the series, jim Coleman just wrote?

SAT Part 1 & 2  12/18/96, Part 3 12/20/96, part 4 12/22/96, part 5
12/24/96, and 6 1/1/97. most should be in archives by now.

> Hope I havn't rambled too much and you have got a general idea of what I
> think I want.
>
> What a strange world a committeed aural tuner helping out a visual
> tuner.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Barrie.
>
> --
>
> Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
> The UK PIano Page                              |
> pgp  key on request                            |  HAVE YOUR PIANO TUNED

I still have Jim's articles. I'm printing them up for the Chapter
meeting here.

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher