Refinishing Vintage Steinways

waco@ari.net waco@ari.net
Thu, 09 Jan 1997 08:37:30 -0500

Bob Davis writes:

>I get the idea that your Steinway "A" has its original finish. If so, I would
>be very surprised if it were shellac/French polish. It should be varnish,
>both from its age and from your description of the alligatoring.

Bob, this finish (at least the part I tested) is alcohol soluble.  My guess is
that the finsh "schedule" was a water based red stain, shellac/filler, and then
about 10 coats of shellac, either "French Polished", or most likely just
sanded/rubbed between coats.  I have only tested the finish on the music desk,
so there is a possibility that the other alligatored portions may be varnish.
It seems strange, but the lid (top and bottom), the inside of the rim, the
fallboard, and the keyslip, are all perfect.  The legs, the lyre, and all the
vertical surfaces on the case are alligatored.

>The wood on your piano (I think it comes from Africa) is probably spectacular
>(we have two A's from that period at home).

I'm no wood expert, but from the texts I have consulted, this wood is a pretty
good match in appearance for an American mahogany with a "fiddleback" figure.  I
guess to get a final judgement, I would have to use a microscope or else get
more access to Steinway records than normal humans are granted.

Assuming that the finish really is shellac, I have also concluded that there was
some sort of stain added to the shellac.  Any idea what type might have been
used?

For those who may be interested, in the course of my research, I have come
across a finish described in an old wood working book as a "Piano Finish".  This
finish has about 17 steps, uses water stain, shellac, and pumice filler, but
does not necessitate "French Polishing".  The description has a ring of
authenticity, just the right amount of labor for just the right result with the
materials available at the turn of the century.  Too long to post here, but for
those interested, I will provide the details by E-mail.

Frank Weston