Southern Cal Exam Board (long)

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 23:31:05 -0800 (PST)

	I too would like to add that the Southern Cal Exam Board is
staffed by wonderful people who go the extra mile.  I had the most
wonderful experience with them that I'd like to share.
	I spent the day before with Jim Coleman Sr. getting the
butterflies out of my lever, then he tuned my fork and bought me lunch.
It was 112 in Phoenix.  We were fixing to tune up a Kawai Rosewood but I
was struggling getting it to hold so Jim offered to do the pitch raise.
2 minutes later he walked off saying the pins were too loose.  I learned
then that my tolerances (and pins) needed to be tighter.  Thanks again,
Jim
	I flew to Long Beach and walked 2 blocks to Steve Schells house.
He was gone so I let myself in.  He had a Steinway grand and a Wurlitzer
spinet in his living room.  I played the Wurlitzer.  That was the most
wonderful Wurlitzer I have ever played.  Tuned, voiced and regulated.  I
was so excited I jumped on the Steinway and my fingers went to flying,
then my nerves did also, it didn't have any dampers !!!  I didn't think
I would ever get it stop ringing.
	A little while later Doug Herschberger came by and later on we
all went out to a wonderful Mexican restaurant.  Steve got up at 4 am
and went and tuned the Crystal Cathedral while I snored on his couch.
Later he came and woke me up and away we went to take the tuning exam.
	At the University, I met Kathy Smith and Teri Meredyth.  Before
the tuning, as they were walking out, Teri cautioned me that the last
thing to do would be to make absolutely sure a was on 440 since the
tolerances were so tight and that it was better to pass A at 440 and
lose it in the temperament and midrange areas than to keep a nice smooth
midrange and blow it on A 440.  Right.
	So away I went.  It was about 70 degrees inside and I was having
a day when everything was going great.  I tuned and the piano was closer
than I expected.  I had that piano sounding and progressing sweetly.  I
had lots of time left over so I left it alone.  Right before the end, I
checked the A with my fork.  I heard beats but figured since my fork was
cold that I was ok...wrong move.  I should have listened to Teri.
	They came in and my A was 5 cents flat.  I flunked right off with
a 60.  In the other 7 sections, my lowest score was a 90.  I went out and
sat in the office with Jim Coleman Jr. and we solved the worlds problems.
 Kathy Smith sprang for lunch and we had a great time.  Steve Schell must
have felt bad for me inside having had such a wonderful 2 days together
and then having had such a good tuning and then having it fail.  He
drove me to the airport and I flew home.  That is the only time in my
life I have ever been so happy after flunking an exam.  I knew then that
I could pass it.  I left with only the most wonderful feeling towards
both the Colemans and the Southern California Exam Board.  3 months
later I whipped the test in Phoenix...Which is another story...
	During the tuning I needed to use the restroom so I let myself
out.  I ended up getting locked out and then lost.  I went banging on
practice room doors until I found a faculty member who called Rick
Florence to come and get me.  Then RIck showed me the way back and
unlocked the door.  I lost 20 minutes but still passed !!!

Well that's enough.  My taking the tuning exam was just a wonderful
experience both times.  Thanks to all of the wonderful people that I've
got to meet along the way.

Ron Shiflet, RPT
Phoenix Chapter