No Budget (JH)

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 21:10:05 -0600 (CST)

Part of Jeff Hickey's post concerning Wally Scherer and Keith McGavern:
>...I believe that what Keith was trying to say (..in his blunt no-nonsense
>fashion...

The foundation for the statement is rudimentary.  The following are
statements taken from Wally Scherer's original post:
------------
>...One of the universities in my area has about twenty or so pianos in thei=
>music department, but seem to have NO BUDGET for piano tuning...

Note: NO BUDGET

>...I have caught
>the Dept. Head briefly in passing a couple of times, and he has been real
>nice, saying he will keep me in mind for tuning...

Note: will keep me in mind for tuning

>...I don't know anything about the politics there, though they
>did get a new president this past year. He knows the pianos need work...

Note: He knows the pianos need work

>... One
>room has about four half disassembled verticals that have been like that fo=
>at least a couple of years...

Note: uncompleted work for a couple of years

Based on the information presented, the persons involved at this
educational facility are aware of the situation.  And the budget and
statements given easily reflect that knowledge.  Hence, my comment of, "I'd
wait until you are asked."
------------

Continuing with Jeff Hickey's post:
>...a Music Dep't with 20 pianos almost certainly has a
>tuner/tech in the Rolodex somewhere...

If this were true, and the rest of the information Wally Scherer provided
is primarily factual, then this just adds to the overcompelling reason to
wait until he is asked.

>... Of course, self-promotion IS a part of
>being self-employed. (Right Keith?)...

Unfortunately, Jeff, self-promotion is one area I don't know much about.
It seems like anytime I get involved in "blowing my own horn," so to speak,
it backfires.  So, I wait until I am asked to be involved with tuning
someone else's pianos.  Been that way since the beginning and still
is...for 19 years +.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net