Service fees 1947, Howe

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 12:09:44 -0500 (EST)

Wim;
 Isn't it interesting that so much of our world has changed and that which we
depend on for a livelihood has remained rather static. I am speaking of the
Piano of course, it being in relatively the same condition as we left it in
1947. While there have been changes to some aspects of the instrument there
have not been any breakthrough inovations in piano technoglogy between now
and then. (at least that have been widely accepted)
  Our view of the piano has changed; for instance where would you have gone
locally in 1947 to get a new soundboard in your piano ?  Now we  choose to do
it ourselves, or sub it out to someone locally in most cases, and if we get
stuck call for help and it most-times will be forthcoming. We do things
today, to pianos, that only the "masters" would do in 1947.
  My Uncle Smitty had a favorite quote that went "change is not always
progress but progress is always change, in thought if not in deed". I don't
know where the quote originates but the concept resonates in our industry
through the development of skills undreamed of by the average tech in 1947.
Have a good day.
Jim Bryant(FL)