A new Squeak! -Reply (perception?)

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:09:21 -0500 (EST)

List;
  David has a squeaky pedal problem and we started telling him about things
to do to quiet the squeak. Quite naturally the focus has been on the
trapwork/rod contact, mainly. Warren brought into play the bushing on the
guide rail for the rods. Things are not always what they seem to be are they
?  Which brings me to my question (s)
 We try to get an angle on new tuning pins in a new pin block, various angles
for various folk. Why do we do this?  To add stability to the settled-in
piano ? For appearance?  The angle should be along the bridge pin/tuning pin
line and changes as we go throughout the new block.  Why?  Do we do this for
appearance, or stability. Appearance seems to make very good sense, but does
stability make as good sense? Do we not complain about flagpolng pins? In
making the angle are we adding to this problem?  Does the more acute angle of
say 7 degrees add more stability than does 5 degrees?, Or 2 degrees?
  Will a tuning pin set at 7 degrees bend (flagpole) more or less than one
set at 1 degree?
  Just some thoughts running through my head as I am drilling a new pinblock
on an 'A' and making holes in a perfectly good new pinblock. Self says "why
are you doing it this way"-----Self answers "because".
  It must be the red lights on the Blue devil box making me think these
thoughts.
Jim Bryant (FL)